|Residents in the Horndean area please be aware that there has been an attempt scam reported on the 20/12/2017, whereby an unknown male has come to a door of a vulnerable victim making false representation. The unknown male claimed that a company who carried out work on there property had not paid any tax, and that they would get a refund on the work carried out. In order to get the money returned they would have to pay £4000 in tax to release the funds. On this occasion the deception was prevented.
- Always use the door chain when answering the door, if you are not sure do not open the door.
- Always check the credentials of unknown callers. Do not phone the number on the ID card, use a phone book or a bill.
- Never employ cold-calling doorstep traders or engage with cold callers on the phone.
- Do not keep substantial sums of money in the home.
- Always keep front and back doors locked.
- LOCK STOP CHAIN and CHECK - if unsure do not open the door.
- Consider joining or setting up a No Cold Calling Zone or Neighbourhood Watch scheme.
- Report any suspicious callers or activity to the police immediately.
- Keep an eye on elderly or vulnerable neighbours, friends and family.
- Encourage residents to call 101 to advise of any unexpected callers - this gives Police a better chance at building a picture of where potential criminals are operating.
Please ensure you are vigilant at all times, calling police to report any suspicious activity, not just around your own property but anything suspicious in your residential area and community. In an emergency use 999 or 101 for non-emergency. It is not too late to report any suspicious activity to police. Alternatively report it via Crimestoppers charity on 0800 555 111 anonymously.