Between 22/01/18 19.00 - 22/01/18 21/10 hrs. two theft from vehicles were reported to police. The locations for these incidents took place in Hambledon Road and Francis Road, where both the front and rear index plates were taken.
This type of crime may be used to aid secondary crimes such as theft of fuel from forecourts (bilking), avoidance of congestion charges and parking fines, vehicle cloning and burglary.
If thefts of this type are not reported, victims may receive summonses for unpaid parking and speeding tickets, or may even be questioned by police in connection with more serious crimes.
The following prevention/reduction actions and advice will assist police and partners to reduce the potential risk of crime and prevent members of the public from becoming victims.
- Park your car in a garage at night or park to prevent access to either front or rear number plate.
- Park in a safe public car park.
- If parking on a public road, park in a well-lit spot.
- Use theft resistant number plates, which are designed to break apart if they are forcibly removed from a vehicle.
- Fit security screws. Simple anti-theft devices can be easily fitted with a screwdriver in place of existing screws, but cannot be removed using standard tools (use correct security screws appropriate for the pre-existing number plate screw size and application)
- Please contact police if you notice a car with different number plates on the front and the back of the vehicle.