Hampshire Astronomical Group - Clanfield Observatory
The CLANFIELD OBSERVATORY, situated in the Portsmouth Water Company's reservoir grounds at Hinton Heights, Hinton Manor Lane Clanfield, is owned and operated by the Hampshire Astronomical Group, where for over thirty five years it has been the focus of the Group's activities and a well known local landmark. The location is home to an Amateur Astronomical Observatory housing some of the finest astronomy equipment and facilities available to amateur observers in the UK. Established in 1960 the Hampshire Astronomical Group has been in existence for over 50 years.
The Groups' aim is to encourage amateur astronomy through education and promotion of its sciences.
Astronomy observing projects currently undertaken at the Observatory include Exo-Planets [planets orbiting other stars] their study and timings - Variable Star observation - verification/confirmation of national and international astronomical discoveries - monitoring positions of comets and near earth asteroids - monitoring the brightness variations of asteroids [used in determining their shape].
Also the Observatory has specialised telescopes for 'daylight solar observing' to study the surface features of the Sun.
Furthermore, the Observatory is a CCTV monitoring station for 'UKMON' a Meteor Observation Network for the UK. A collaborative project to create a network of video based meteor observing and recording stations sharing data and analysis across the UK & Europe. There is a full program of Public Open evenings/week-ends and Group visits throughout the year coupled with monthly interesting and educational talks by visiting speakers held at the ‘Clanfield Memorial Hall where non-members are most welcome to attend.
A 20 week introductory astronomy course is run from the observatory which incorporates background information and practical observing for those who wish to learn and understand more about astronomy and the workings of the night sky.
Visits and Courses are very popular and are often fully booked in advance, it is advised therefore to book early to avoid disappointment.
The Observatory may be visited only by prior arrangement For contact details, bookings and all other information please visit our website:
www.hantsastro.org.uk - [on line since 1998]
*The Observatory is in constant use accommodating member's training & observing; member's club night; Astronomy course; Public open evening/weekends and Group visits.« Back to category view
Hinton Height, Hinton Manor Lane
A-Z Business Directory
- Advance Soft tissue & Remedial Massage - AdvanceSRM
- Affinity Stylings
- Belle de Vie
- Budgens Clanfield
- Butser Ancient Farm
- Choice Family Mediation
- Clanfield Greengrocer & Florist (N Hadwen)
- Clanfield Nursery School
- Clanfield Sports and Community Centre
- Corner Fifty Three Distilling
- de Mellow & Co Wealth Management
- Electrical Service Systems Limited
- Evolve Hair and Beauty Salon
- Gibson Gammon Estate Agents
- Hampshire & Sussex Contract Cleaning Ltd
- Hampshire Herb Centre at Rumsey Gardens
- Hazleton Country Supplies
- Helen Cooper Bowen Therapy
- Hilltop Garage Horndean
- Horndean Technology College
- Julia’s Garden Care
- LC Energy Solutions Limited
- Ledgerworks Ltd
- Leydene Glass & Glazing
- Mela Restaurant Clanfield
- Michael Miller & Partners Funeral Directors
- Millcrest Decor Ltd - Painters & Decorators
- Pearsons Estate Agents
- Ron Reeve Ltd Family Butcher & Delicatessen
- Serenity Digital Ltd
- Sew Made For You
- South Coast Opticians
- South Downs Funeral Service
- Stephanie Hobbs: Artist
- The Clanfield Chiropractic Clinic
- The Co-operative Clanfield
- The Foster Practice
- The Hampshire Hog
- The Hatch @ Kassia
- The Little Housekeeping Company
- The New England Shutter Company
- The Rising Sun Inn
- Topmarks Healthcare Ltd (WPA Healthcare Practice)